The Royal Academy of Culinary Arts (RACA) aims to advance the education of people in the United Kingdom in the science and art of cookery, food, food provenance and service.
This objective is achieved through a number of activities including:
- The Chefs and Professional Restaurant Service Apprenticeship Programmes
- The Annual Awards of Excellence
- The Master of Culinary Arts
- Adopt a School, the Academy’s charity delivering food culture and cookery education to primary schools
- The Royal Academy of Culinary Arts Sustainability and Food Security policies.
The application process for the Membership of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts is now closed. The Royal Academy of Culinary Arts Selection and Membership process is now based on nominations from Academicians.
- Members of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts must be a Head Chef, Pastry Chef or Restaurant Manager working in the UK and over the age of 30 years and have spent a minimum of 3 years in positions of seniority and responsibility.
- Academicians may privately nominate and propose a potential candidate to the Selection and Membership Committee. This nominated professional will join a Prospective Member List for review. This list will be maintained and managed by the RACA Office
- The Prospective Member List will be reviewed by the Selection and Membership Committee twice annually. If the nomination is accepted, the candidate will be invited in for an interview.
- The decision of the Selection and Membership Committee is final.
- Individual unsolicited enquiries will be directed to the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts website where the membership process is detailed. His or her details will be kept on file, and may be invited to certain Adopt a School events.
- The member of the RACA making nominations must offer a supporting citation and details of the candidates past experience outlining the contribution they believe their nominee can make to the RACA. The nominator will be required to include two further RACA referees, with their supporting statements.
- The nominating member must agree to act as mentor for the potential new member for a period of 24 months; in addition the mentor will be written to thanking them for their nomination with full outlining details of their duties of mentoring responsibilities.
- It is the responsibility of the Membership Secretary in co-ordination with the mentors and the Selection and Membership Committee to monitor the participation of the newly elected members for his/her initial 24 month period of membership.
- The nominator must keep his/her nomination confidential until the decision of the Selection and Membership Committee. The Membership Secretary will inform the nominator of the outcome from the Selection and Membership Committee meeting.
- The candidate’s information and citation will be submitted to the Selection and Membership Committee for review. The Selection and Membership Committee will judge whether the candidate will be invited for interview.
- At this point the potential new member joins the Prospective Member List and becomes a candidate for membership of the RACA.
- The Selection and Membership Committee will invite successful candidate for interview. The Committee may also invite the candidate’s mentor for interview.
- At the discretion of the Selection and Membership Committee the candidate becomes a Member, and is formally notified in writing.
- In certain circumstances, and at the discretion of the Chairman and the Membership Committee, professionals may be invited to join the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts. The Selection and Membership Committee will become the mentor of this invited candidate.
- All successful candidates must agree to contribute to the work of the RACA by signing a charter of engagement and admission. The mentors all agree to ensure that their nominated candidate contributes fully to the work of the RACA.
- An Entry fee of £200 and annual subs of £200 plus VAT will become payable. These are the personal responsibility of the member and not the employer.
The Selection and Membership Committee is: John Williams Chairman of the Selection Committee, Chairman of the Academy and Chairman of the Management Committee; Brian Turner President of the Academy; William Curley MCA Pastry representative; Didier Garnier Front of House representative; Silvano Giraldin Chairman of MCA/AAE Service; Martin Lam Chef representative; Rowley Leigh Chef representative